Tuesday, June 25, 2013

AYAT AL KURSI - ITS BENEFITS





AYAT AL KURSI (Verse of The Footstool)


"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitteth? He knoweth What (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)." [Surah al-Baqarah 2: 255]




AYAT AL KURSI is named after the footstool of ALLAH TAA'LA. It is one ayah but has ten complete sentences. The reason why Ayat al-Kursi is the most excellent verse, is that this verse mentions the names of Allah Most High more than any other verse (i.e. this verse contains the most remembrance (dhikr) of Allah Most High). It glorifies Allah and is a beautiful proof  for tauhid (Oneness of ALLAH TAA'LA).

Indeed this ayah has many virtues and some of them are:

v    It is the greatest ayah of Qur’an:


Imam Ahmad recorded that `Ubayy bin Ka`b (Radhi Allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) asked him about the greatest Ayah in the Book of Allah, and `Ubayy (Radhi Allahu anhu) answered, "Allah and His Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  know better.'' When the Prophet repeated his question several times, `Ubayy (Radhi Allahu anhu) said, "Ayat Al-Kursi.'' The Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  commented,

«لِيَهْنِكَ الْعِلْمُ أَبَا الْمُنْذِرِ، وَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ، إِنَّ لَهَا لِسَانًا وَشَفَتَيْنِ، تُقَدِّسُ الْمَلِكَ عِنْدَ سَاقِ الْعَرْش»

(Congratulations for having knowledge, O Abu Al-Mundhir! By He in Whose Hand is my soul! This Ayah has a tongue and two lips with which she praises the King (Allah) next to the leg of the Throne.)
This Hadith was also collected by Muslim, but he did not include the part that starts with, "By He in Whose Hand...''


v    Ayat al Kursi also protects from shaitaan.


Imam Bukhari reported in his sahih that Abu Hurayrah’ (Radhi Allahu anhu) narrated:
“Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  assigned me to keep watch over the Sadaqah (charity) of Ramadan. A person snuck in and started taking handfuls of foodstuff. I caught him and said, `By Allah, I will take you to Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).' He said, `Release me, for I am meek and have many dependents and am in great need.' I released him, and in the morning Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  asked me, `What did your prisoner do yesterday, O Abu Hurayrah' I said, `O Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)! He complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so I pitied him and let him go.' Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  said, `Indeed, he told you a lie and will be coming again.' I believed that he would show up again, for Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) had told me that he would return. So, I watched for him. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, `I will definitely take you to Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).' He said, `Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again.' I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  asked me, `What did your prisoner do last night, O Abu Hurayrah!' I replied, `O Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free.' Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said, `Verily, he told you a lie; he will return.' I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff, I caught hold of him and said, `I will surely take you to Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  as it is the third time you promised not to return, yet you returned.' He said, `Let me teach you some words which Allah will give you benefit from.' I asked, `What are they' He replied, `Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat Al-Kursi- Allahu la ilaha illa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum, till you finish the whole verse. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no Shaytan will come near you until morning.' So, I released him. In the morning, Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  asked, `What did your prisoner do yesterday' I replied, `O Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)! He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah will grant me some benefit, so I let him go.' Allah's Messenger  (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)  asked, `What are they' I replied, `He said to me: Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat Al-Kursi from the beginning to the end, Allahu la ilaha illa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum. He further said to me: (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no Shaytan will come near you until morning.' (One of the narrators) then commented that they (the Companions) were very keen to do good deeds. The Prophet said, `He spoke the truth, although he is a liar. Do you know whom you were talking to, these three nights, O Abu Hurayrah' Abu Hurayrah (Radhi Allahu anhu )said, `No.' He (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said, `It was Shaytan.'''

 An-Nasa'i also recorded this Hadith in Al-Yawm wa Al-Laylah.



v    If recited after obligatory prayer nothing will prevent from entering jannah.



It was narrated that Abu Umamah (Radhi Allahu anhu) said: The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Whoever recites Ayat Al-Kursi immediately after each prescribed Prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.”
(Reported by An-Nasa’i and IbnHibban.)

v    In it the Most Great Name of Allah (ismuAllahi al-’atham) ﴿الْحَىُّ الْقَيُّومُ is mentioned.

v    Ayat al-Kursi mentions six attributes (sifat) of Allah Most High, all six being mentioned in this single verse. The attributes mentioned are:



The Divine Oneness (Wahdaniyyah) of Allah Most High, His Life (Hayah), His Knowledge (?Ilm), His Kingdom (Mulk), His Divine Power (Qudrah) and His Will (Iradah)

Subhaan Allah there are many benefits of Ayat al Kursi and reciting it would take not more than a minute of ours. Most of us know it by heart and take it for granted but now let’s take the opportunity and be benefited by it.  As for those who haven’t learnt, it’s never too late to learn it now.  IN SHA ALLAH. Below is a video for easy memorization of Ayat Al Kursi (hope it helps)....




May ALLAH TAA'LA bless us with the taufiq to memorize, recite with ikhlas and accept from us .  Ameen


Take care and have a nice day…

 JazakiaAllah hu khairan for reading. Make sure you Rate, Share and Follow us. If you have similar views please do comment

1 comment: